Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This low calorie peppery steak dinner (Cooking light, January 1999) is a delicious meal for the whole family. Prep time includes minimum marinating time.
- 16 asparagus spears
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (1 lb) flank steaks or 1 (1 lb) boned top round steak
- 4 cups sliced spinach
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain well and chill.
- Combine soy sauce and next 4 ingredients (soy sauce through garlic), reserving 1/3 cup soy sauce mixture.
- Set aside.
- Place remaining soy sauce mixture, asparagus, and steak in a zip-top plastic bag; seal.
- Marinate in regrigerature 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Remove asparagus and steak from bag, and discard mixture.
- Place a grill pan (10-inch heavy non-stick skillet) over medium-high heat.
- Add asparagus and steak and cook steak 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness, turning asparagus as needed.
- Place steak on a platter, and cover with foil.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Combine 1/3 cup reserved soy sauce mixture, spinach, rice, celery, oil, and onions, toss to coat.
- Divide asparagus, steak, and wild-rice pilaf evenly among 4 plates.
This was delicious!! well worth the effort. I used flank steak and marinated it with the asparagus overnight. I did steam rather than boil the asparagus. Very nice combination, spinach, wild rice and celery with a nice little bite in the marinade, and a touch of nuttiness with the sesame oil. We'll be making this one again, thanks for sharing.
This was Very good. It seems a bit labor intensive from the instructions but it really wasn't. I modified it a bit, by steaming the asparagus and marinating overnight. I also increased the amount of garlic and left out the celery (i just don't like celery). Would definately make again!