Recipe by Bergy
Tasty, easy, economical appetizer. They seem to disappear quickly too. In this recipe I have used chicken that I minced very finely.A small half breast skinless will do the trick. You could substitute leftover meat, fish or seafood for the chicken . I have put the chili sauce and ginger as optional but I recommend that you use both as they give that final flavor burst. Serve at room temperature . You may make these several hours ahead,store them in the fridge bring out 45 minutes before serving. The recipe can be doubled or tripled.
Top Review by mummasgirl
I loved these. We went to a Thai dinner party and I was to bring a plate as a starter. I thought this recipe was a little adventurous for me, but with a little help with the rolling (a fly on the wall would have had a laugh as my husband and I negotiated the rolling together) I was pleased with the outcome. Very tasty and they look interesting too.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces finely minced chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄4 cup shiitake mushrooms, dried or 1⁄4 cup fresh portabella mushroom, minced
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 pieces of soft crystallized ginger, 1/4 inch each (optional)
- sweet hot chili sauce (You just need a small dab per piece) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add dried Shitake mushrooms to boiling water & simmer 1 minute remove from heat and let them sit for ten minutes, drain and chop finely.
- In a fry pan saute the minced chicken & garlic until cooked and the chicken is lightly browned , make sure the chicken is well separated.
- Add Ginger, Soy, Chili Flakes, reconstituted, chopped mushrooms (or fresh chopped), wine & lemon juice.
- Simmer until the moisture has evaporated - set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile whisk the 2 eggs with the water & cornstarch.
- Whip the egg white until it forms soft peaks.
- Mix the egg white with the cooled chicken mixture,.
- Fold the chicken mixture into the whisked eggs.
- Heat a no stick omelette pan over medium high heat.
- Pour in half of the mixture and tilt the pan so you have as thin a layer as possible, cook until bubbly on top.
- It should be almost totally cooked.
- Tilt the pan and pick up an edge of the omelette & roll it into a jellyroll.
- Leave over heat turning the roll to finish heating through for another minute, remove roll to a plate.
- Cook second omelette.
- Insert 6 toothpick in each roll about 3/4" apart and slice between them giving you 4 small end pieces (for the cook) and 12 pieces to serve.
- Place each piece rolled side up on a serving platter, put a dab of chili sauce on top of each and a piece of ginger Serve at room temperature.