Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a simple recipe for eye of round steak which I clipped about 20 years ago (my how time flies!!). The prep time does not include the marinating time.
- 2 lbs beef eye round, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Butterfly the roast.
- To butterfly, cut the roast lengthwise through the center to 1/2 inch from bottom- being careful that you don't cut through.
- In small skillet heat oil over medium high heat, add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, sherry and onions.
- Place roast in a 1 gallon zip-loc bag and pour in marinade; turn to coat.
- Put in frig, turning occasionally, 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat broiler; place roast on broiler pan, reserving marinade.
- Broil 5 inches from heat source, turning once, 20 to 25 minutes for rare.
- Slice thin and drizzle with reserved marinade.
I've made this a couple of times. It tastes really good. The marinade is excellent. It's easy to make. It's difficult to serve. Butterfliying it makes the marinade reach more of the beef, but makes for strange slicing. I also think it's overcooked. I will cook it less than the recipe calls for next time. I would say i'ts a 5, except for the slicing problem.