Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
a refreshing salad perfect for a hot summer afternoon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Spread almonds, sunflower and sesame seeds on a baking sheet; bake in 350 degree F oven for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from baking sheet immediately to stop cooking.
- In large bowl, combine red and green cabbage, bean sprouts and onions.
- Prepare dressing: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil , garlic, salt and pepper: whisk in oil.
- Just before serving, toss almond mixture with cabbage; gently toss with dressing until well mixed. Stir in noodles.
We really enjoyed this coleslaw, especially DH. I liked the nuts and seeds especially, though I wasn't so fond of the sprouts. DH on the other hand, especially liked the sprouts in the mixture. I used agave nectar instead of sugar in the dressing, and used organic tamari instead of soy. This is a very flavorful and easy side dish to make - I like that! Thanks for posting - made for Spring PAC 2012.