1/2 Photos of Oriental Cold Noodle Salad (Low Fat/Vegetarian)
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Soba noodles are easily found in the Asian section of your grocery store, you could substitute 1 pound of angel hair pasta for the soba noodles but the soba noodles are better to use ;-) Plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 2 or more hours before serving, prep time includes chilling time. Add in some frozen thawed peas, steamed broccoli, or some cooked chicken or shrimp if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 ounces dried soba noodles (can use a little more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (do not use rice wine vinegar!)
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or use 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste)
- 1 small carrot (peeled and finely grated, squeeze out the extra moisture with hands)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- black pepper (optional)
- 1Cook the soba noodles in a large pot of water according to package directions; drain then rinse with very cold water, drain again.
- 2Cut the noodles into about 3 to 4-inches then place into a large bowl.
- 3Add in grated carrots and green onions; set aside.
- 4In a bowl mix together dark sesame oil with rice vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, and cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes) stir until the brown sugar is completely dissolved; pour over the noodles and vegetables, add in sesame seeds then toss well to coat.
- 5Season with black pepper if desired.
- 6Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 or more hours.
- 7If you find that the noodles are too dry after chilling time add in a small amount more of soy sauce and toss.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oriental Cold Noodle Salad (Low Fat/Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.1
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1044.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 12.2 g