Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one recipe we make quite often. I found this recipe in Taste of Home. The original recipe calls for cooking in a skillet on the stove, but I also bake it in the oven. Same great tasting end result. I reduce the amount of red pepper flakes because we don't like it too hot. I serve it with rice and vegetables. The baking time may differ depending on the size of the thighs.
- 5 -6 chicken thighs, skin removed and bone-in
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Skillet Method.
- Brown chicken in 5 tsp of olive oil until juices run clear, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the warm water, brown sugar, orange juice, soya sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes, and 5 spice powder and mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over chicken and simmer uncovered for 30 to 35 min or until tender. Turn occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water, add to skillet gradually and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Oven Method.
- Brown chicken thighs in olive oil until juices run clear. Arrange chicken thighs in casserole dish.
- In a saucepan, mix together the warm water, brown sugar, orange juice, soya sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder until sugar melted.
- Mix cornstarch and water, add to liquid and heat to boiling.
- Pour over chicken.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 40 min or until juices run clear.
- Baking time may depend on the size of the thighs.