Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
A refreshing chicken salad to enjoy over the summer.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper
- 5 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (lemon juice in a pinch)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups shredded bok choy
- 3 -4 scallions, sliced on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small tender lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced (to garnish)
- carrot (to garnish)
- radish (to garnish)
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a small, heavy, saucepan and sautι the shallots, garlic, ginger root, and chiles over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables wilt and the mixture becomes aromatic.
- Add the apricot jam, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, vinegar, and sugar.
- Simmer for a few minutes, stirring, then remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, bok choy, and scallions.
- Reserve 3 to 4 tablespoons of the sauce, then mix the rest with the chicken.
- Mound the chicken salad on the lettuce leaves on a serving plate.
- Surround the salad with the sliced cucumber, carrot, and radish.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce over the salad, then sprinkle with the chopped peanuts.
i love this salad!! the dressing is very very good. a good combination of salty, sweet, sour and spicy (i did use a full tablespoon of hot dried pepper flakes). i didn't have any bok choy, so i substituted with blanched cabbage. the results are a little soggy (all my fault, not the recipe) but delicious. thanks eve!