A slightly out of the ordinary take on chicken noodle soup that originally started as a "chef's special" (i.e. what I had on hand). Turns out, with the right ingredients you can make an extremely light and refreshing twist on a classic recipe. Definitely one for the recipe books.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 large zucchini, julienned (sliced into matchsticks)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1304.07 g chicken stock (1 can, 1 box)
- 118.29 ml pino grigio wine (or other white wine if you prefer)
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml ground rosemary (or thyme, if you can't get ground rosemary)
- 1 inch bunch spaghetti noodles, broken into 1-2 inch sections
- 11. Boil and drain the spaghetti noodles per directions, set aside.
- 22. Add the olive oil, garlic, salt, and zucchini to a medium sauce pan and sweat until fragrant and the zucchini begins to look cooked. (Be careful not to overcook the zucchini or it will fall apart in the soup). Set aside.
- 33. Add the Pinot Grigio to the medium sauce pan, scrape the drippings, and flambe (set on fire). You're burning off the alcohol here, so it's a pretty important step.
- 44. In a soup pot combine all the ingredients and heat to serving temperature. Enjoy.
- 5Tip #1: Don't be scared of the canned bamboo, the chicken and Pinot blend well with it's flavor and everything compliments well. IF, however, you're more traditional replace the bamboo with 1-2 chopped celery stalks.
- 6Tip #2: How often do you actually get to start something on fire? It looks flashy and is harmless if not done under a window curtain, so don't be afraid of the step.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oriental Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.8
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.9 mg
- Sodium 606.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 17.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: