Prep 15 mins
Cook 60 hrs
This base for a soup is Oriental Style chicken broth, which is seasoned with gingeroot and green onions. Try using the broth in other soups. Cook time is simmering time.
- 4 chicken breast halves (carcass portion) or 1 chicken carcasses or 3 chicken backs
- 2 green onions, including part of the tops, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 2 1⁄4 inches gingerroot, slices
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil. Skim surface. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour. Strain broth. If desired, make broth ahead, cover and refrigerate until chilled. Remove any fat from surface before using. Makes about 6 cups. Variation- Add 1-2 teaspoons Cognac to each serving.