Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad has been very popular whenever I've brought it to picnics, potlucks, and barbeques. It travels well and can be prepared a few hours in advance of the party. Be prepared to share this recipe because people Ü will ask for it!
- 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix (or 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced and chopped)
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, broken up (Your favorite flavor!)
- 1 -2 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄2-1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Combine cabbage, scallions, ramen noodles (reserve ramen flavor packet for dressing) and chicken; refrigerate for up to six hours.
- Just before serving shake together canola oil, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and ramen flavor packet; pour dressing over salad and toss; add sesame seeds and almonds; toss until evenly mixed.
- NOTE: I like to make the salad and salad dressing seperately a few hours in advance of whatever party I'm going to ~ I just dress the salad at the last minute so that it stays nice and crunchy.
I love and crave this salad for its wonderful flavor. I have been making this for 12 plus years. I have never used coleslaw mix always 4 cups of green garbage. Two packet of chicken ramen noodles and their season packets are added to the dressing that is doubled what you have. I also use slightly more rice wine vinegar and black pepper because I like the Pow it delivers. I have never added scallions or onions of any kind, this I might try some time. I too agree that this salad should sit for at least two hours before it is served but Man it is hard to keep my fork out of it. And Deb you are right I always have at least two ask for this recipe were ever I take it. Thanks for Posting
This has been a hit with my family ever since I made it. It is always gone no matter how much I make! LOVE IT!
Great recipe. I give this four instead of five because I think the seasome oil is too much. I use 1/2 tbsp and I also always add the seasoning from the Roman package (always chicken). I also would say the dressing in this recipe needs to be doubled (except still one package of seasoning) if you are using a whole head of cabbage. I find it just right when using a half a head. Thank you for post. I will continue to use this.