Posted by request. Oriental Black Bean Sauce is a popular ingredient in many Asian dishes. The black beans in this sauce are actually soy beans which have been allowed to mature and ferment, creating a complex mix of flavours. They are easily obtained from Chinese supermarkets. Black bean sauce teams well with stir-fried beef or chicken, and any combination of vegetables such as bok choy, asparagus, baby corn, carrot, celery, mushrooms, snow peas, small sprigs of cauliflower and/or broccoli, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and so on. Be warned, it does have a rather high salt content, so there is little need to add salt either to the sauce or the finished dish. Unless stored in the freezer, this sauce should be refrigerated and used within a few days of making. Preparation time includes soaking the beans for 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 hot chili peppers, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce
- 1/4 cup fermented black beans
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fat-free key lime yogurt
- 1Drain the tinned beans, then place in a bowl, cover with fresh cold water and soak 30 minutes.
- 2Rinse well in a colander under cold running water, drain, then lightly mash with a fork on a wooden board.
- 3Heat the oil in a small pan, add the onions, red pepper, ginger, garlic and chili pepper (if used), and saute on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the onions have just softened.
- 4Add the fermented black beans, and mash them lightly with the back of a wooden spoon while stirring them in.
- 5Add the Asian chili sauce (in place of the chili pepper if wished), mirin, soy sauce, brown sugar and stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Taste, and add the brown sugar (if desired), then the cornflour mixed with a little water, and cook briefly until the sauce has just thickened.
- 7When ready to serve, add the sauce to four cups of lightly stir-fried vegetables (as suggested above), along with some sauteed beef or chicken strips if desired.
- 8Toss and heat through in a wok, and serve over steamed rice or coooked noodles.
- 9If you wish, garnish the finished dish with crispy fried noodles, chopped fresh cilantro, or roasted cashew nuts.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oriental Black Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 94.6
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 205.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fermented black beans
fat-free key lime yogurt