Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My dad was a high school teacher years ago and in those days was only paid once a month. So, by the end of the month, we ended up having a lot of hamburger dishes. My mom used to come up with some interesting ways to cook hamburger....she was the Queen of Casseroles! This dish brings back wonderful memories.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of celery soup
- 10 1⁄2 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef.
- In a bowl, combine rest of ingredients.
- Topping: Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter and place over meat mixture.
- Bake in 350 oven for 45 - 1 hour or until heated through.
- Options: A can of water chestnuts could be added.
What a great idea for hamburger! I was looking for something to serve at an informal dinner get-together and this was a hit. I had most of these items in my kitchen. We enjoy spicy so I added a little more pepper. Only suggestion would be to chop the celery fine so it cooks through.