- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 kg beef, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sliced ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds, pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in wok. Stir-fry meat in small batches until well browned. Remove.
- Stir-fry ginger and 5 spice powder 1-2 minutes.
- Return meat to wok and add soy, water and sugar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Just before serving add nuts and shallots.