Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another 'creation,' inspired by a cabinet full of Asian sauces and spices.
- 300 g lean beef
- chinese egg noodles
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 150 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup bean sprouts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped fine (optional)
- 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce or 1⁄2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (Shao sing)
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- pepper (to taste)
- toasted shredded coconut (optional)
- handful peanuts (optional)
- Cut up vegetables as stated above.
- Slice beef into extremely thin thumb-length pieces (a sharp knife helps).
- Prepare egg noodles as directed and set aside in a pot with a lid to keep warm.
- Heat a wok on a high fire for a few minutes.
- Add oil and beef strips and cook on high heat until browned (about 2 minutes in our wok).
- Do not overcook as meat will be tough!
- Remove beef to a plate.
- Rinse wok and dry.
- Heat again and add oil.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and stir-fry about 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and chili pepper (if using) and stir-fry for another 3-4 minutees.
- Add in mushrooms and bean sprouts.
- Add the cabbage at the last.
- Return beef to pan, and add the rest of the ingredients (under'sauce') to make the sauce.
- Serve over the egg noodles.