Recipe by Green Cuisine
I played around with different recipes to find a whole wheat pie crust that wasn't dried out. This recipe, if done right is flaky and delicious. I use it for my apple pie and chicken pot pie alike. Careful not to overwork the dough, the more its handled or mixed, the dryer it will be.
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons organic butter, chilled
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons organic lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flours and salt in a bowl.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to bowl with shortening. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut butter and shortening into flour mixture until you achieve a grainy coarse appearance.
- Combine water and lemon juice, then slowly add to flour mixture as you toss gently with a fork until moist. Do not over mix.
- Press mixture into a ball, cover completely with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Cooking time will vary depending on what you're using it for.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface.
- Makes top and bottom crust for a 9" pie or bottom only for a 13x9 sized dish for chicken pot pie or something of that sort.