Edible flowers provide a striking palette with which to decorate food. With a small garden of edible flowers you can make your canapés look like edible art. From Rosalind Creasy. Tip: Use a selection of organic edible flowers, 4 or 5 dozen: nasturtiums, borage, calendulas, pineapple sage, runner bean flowers, pansies, violas, violets, and mustard flowers. Herb leaves: sage, parsley, mint, dill, and basil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh dill or 1/2 cup chives, leaves
- 1 lb organic cream cheese, softened
- 2 large loaf bread, unsliced (dense sandwich or rustic style bread, or 2 packages melba toast)
- 4 -5 dozen organic fresh edible flowers (use a selection of organic edible flowers such as nasturtiums, borage, calendulas, pineapple sage, r)
- 1In a mixing bowl, add the dill and 3 tablespoons of water to the cream cheese and mix until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more water.
- 2Trim the crusts off the bread and cut it into slices 1/3 inch (8 mm) thick.
- 3Cut the slices into large squares or rectangles 2½ to 3½ inches (6-8.5 cm) wide.
- 4Spread the cream cheese mixture on the bread—approximately 1 tablespoon per square—and arrange the squares on cookie sheets.
- 5Cover them lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to decorate.
- 6Carefully wash the flowers and herbs and gently pat them dry on paper towels. Lay them out on damp paper towels and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use, but not for more than a few hours.
- 7Decorate each canapé square with an edible flower or two and an herb leaf or two.
- 8Re-cover the canapés lightly with a plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
- 9The canapés may be made a few hours in advance, but do not prepare them any earlier, or the garnishes will wilt.
- 10Put a paper doily on a decorative tray, place decorated squares on the tray, and serve.
- 11Serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Organic Edible Flower Canapes
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.1
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 83.1 mg
- Sodium 224.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh edible flowers