Recipe by teeharmon21
This cake was created for the earth-minded chocolate lover who is looking for a slightly healthier alternative. The whole-wheat pastry flour adds heartiness to the cake without weighing it down which only adds to its wholesome goodness. This is a layer cake that can be filled with whatever your hearts desire. We recommend a simple chocolate ganache, berry filling or buttercream.
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate (finely chopped, preferably Scharfenberger or Trader Joe's)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, and
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup organic unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup organic light brown sugar, and
- 2 tablespoons organic light brown sugar
- 1 cup organic dark brown molasses, and
- 2 tablespoons organic dark brown molasses (preferably Billington's)
- 3 eggs, organic (room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (room temperature)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate over, not simmering, water. SET ASIDE TO COOL.
- In a small bowl, crack the eggs and separate from shell.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter until light in color (about 2 minutes). Add both the dark and the brown sugar and beat on high speed until lighter in color (about 5 minutes).
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, blending thoroughly in between. Beat at high speed for another 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce mixer to medium speed and beat in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Beat in portions of flour mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat well in between additions.
- Pour immediately into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes OR until center springs back when lightly touched.
- Set cake pans on rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.