I found this yummy ice cream recipe in Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book. I changed it only slightly, adding more Oreos and adding the Oreos to the ice cream freezing process a little sooner. It's very good! Cook time is the freezing process time and for my Cuisinart freezer, that's about 20 minutes.
- Place cookies in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes; whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 more minute.
- Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Add the peppermint extract and blend again.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
- While the ice cream is somewhat loose but on it's way to being frozen, add the chopped cookies and continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
- At this point, I transfer the ice cream to a plastic container and put it in the freezer to harden (ripen) completely.
First time making ice cream with the family, it was hard deciding on a flavor that we would all like but this was a complete hit. We did not add the food coloring since we didnt have it in the cupboard, the taste was fabulous will be making this again soon!
I think this is great ice cream. Let me just add a little warning. Don't put in green food coloring. I did and when I added the oreos, they turned the ice cream a disgusting grey color. I think that was my own fault though.
This is REALLY good! I made as directed, no changes, easy as pie :) I used my 1 1/2 Qt. Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and it was just enough to fill it up without any leftover. If you like mint and Oreo cookies, you are going to love this recipe! Thanks for another winner, Hey Jude!