I found this recipe on Pinterest, and am posting to try for a carry-in. (They turned out delicious! I changed the icing to make it sturdier by adding 8 oz lite cream cheese, an additional 1/2 t. vanilla, an additional 5 T of powdered sugar, and added 1/2 t. almond extract. They held up longer at the cook-out than they would have made with just whipped cream!)
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons Oreo cookie crumbs
- 12 chocolate sandwich style cookies, halved (like Oreos)
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add the brown sugar and continue beating until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- To prepare the frosting, in the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks. Gently fold in the cookie crumbs with a spatula.
- Scoop the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe frosting decoratively on top of the cupcakes. Garnish with Oreo cookie halves.