Recipe by Chef Doozer
This was a big favorite in our house when I was growing up. My mom made it for all of our company during the winter time. It has the most delicious chocolate topping on top which just makes this dessert. You can experiment with different flavors of icecream. I usually stick with vanilla or peppermint (at Christmas time).
Top Review by Judikins
A friend served this at canasta the other day. It was DELICIOUS!! The only difference is that she finished it off with a layer of cool whip and a sprinkling of crushed nuts. It is absolutely worth a try.
- 30 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened (or other flavor)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix oreos and butter together.
- Pat into a 9 by 13 pan.
- Spread 1/2 gallon of vanilla icecream over the cookie crust.
- Freeze hard (overnight or for several hours).
- Melt the chocolate, butter, salt, evaporated milk, and sugar.
- Cook until thick.
- Drizzle over the icecream layer.