Recipe by HokiesMom
From Simple and Delicious magazine Sept 2007 - submitted by M. Wiebe. A quick and easy cupcake to throw together that is different from the usual white cupcake. Kids seem to love these. (Prep time does not include time it will take for cupcakes to cool completely).
Top Review by mums the word
Thank you for posting this! I had photocopied this recipe at the library a few years ago and recently I misplaced it. My kids love these and were so happy to see the cupcakes waiting for them after school today! Anyone with kids needs to try this recipe. Thanks again.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely crushed (like Oreos, about 9 cookies)
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting (can be purchased, freshly made, etc.)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed for topping (additional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and egg whites. Beat on low speed until moistened, then beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Gently fold in cookie crumbs (1 cup).
- Fill paper lined muffin cups 2/3rds full.
- Bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick will come out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with additional crushed cookies.