Prep 25 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I have made this many times, it's an easy cake to make however it does require a few hours of chilling time to "ripen" the cream cheese mixture, also the cake must be cold this will allow the chocolate glaze to harden quickly when topping on the cake --- you can use your own favorite chocolate cake mix instead of the boxed
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (for a sweeter filling increase the sugar slightly)
- 2 cups cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 10 -12 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 2 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup shortening (can use hard margarine)
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup (light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons water
- For the cake; prepare and bake the cake according to package directions using two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Remove each cake to a plate and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the cream filling; in a bowl beat the cram cheese with sugar until blended; fold in the Cool Whip topping and crushed cookies.
- Spread the mixture on top of one cooled cake layer.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or up to overnight (the cake must be very cold for the glaze to harden).
- For the chocolate glaze; in a microwave-safe bowl combine all the glaze ingredients.
- Microwave on HIGH for about 1-1/2 minutes; remove and stir until smooth and combined.
- Allow the glaze to sit for a few minutes to thicken slightly.
- When the glaze has thickened pour onto the top of the cake and allow to drip down the sides (you may need to use the back of the spoon to help it along).
- Immediately refrigerate the cake until the glaze is firm.
- Store cake in refrigerator.
This cake is awesome. I split my cake into 4 layers then put on filling then topped the cake with the glaze. It is amazingly great!