Recipe by Ah-Lia!
I'm sure I'm not the first genius to devise this concoction, but please let me believe I am. I used, with some modifications, Chocolate Chip Cookies chocolate chip cookie base, which is a great cookie btw. I thought these were darn good (even though I dislike using pre-packaged foods to bake with!)
Top Review by Michelle_My_Belle
I made these for my 2007 christmas cookie platters, and im not sorry i tried. A word to the wise for anyone else who wishes to make these, useing a whole package of oreo cookies will leave you with not enough dough for the cookies, i used two packages from a sams multi pack (about 2/3 of a regular package)and was streaching it twards the end. Ah-Lia picked a very good bake time, do not put them in for any extra, they are done they just dont look it and wont spread out too much depending on how big you make them, but if you wait for them to cool and flip them over its a golden brown all across the bottom and they firm up. A nice addition would be maybe some sweetened or unsweetened cocoa powder to make them chocolate oreo chunk but i like them just how they are, will be making them again for sure. My yeils was about 5 dozen, but i made them alittle on the smaller side. Pictures to come once i assemble my trays
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 11 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (not kosher)
- 0.5 (14 ounce) package Oreo cookies (more or less to suit your taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut oreos in four to six pieces with a sharp knife; set aside. Don't bash them, it doesn't work as well. You want somewhat sizable chunks. Try not to sample chunks.
- Blend flour, salt and baking soda together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Blend in flour mixture in thirds; do not overmix.
- Fold in (by hand) chopped Oreos and the Oreo "dust" left from chopping them up.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons and bake 8 minutes. Do NOT overbake these!