Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Food & Wine September 2009
Make and share this Oregon Tuna Melts recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans albacore tuna
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- Dijon mustard, for spreading
- mayonnaise, for spreading
- 6 ounces swiss cheese or 6 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced in eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 16 slices kosher dill pickles, sliced lengthwise, 1/8-inch-thick
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- In a medium bowl, mix the tuna with the onion, olive oil, vinegar, basil and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a panini press or griddle. Spread the cut sides of the rolls with mustard and mayonnaise and top each roll half with a slice of cheese. Spread the tuna salad on the bottoms and cover with the pickles.
- Close the sandwiches and spread the outsides of the rolls with the butter.
- Add the sandwiches to the press and cook over moderate heat until the cheese is melted, about 6 minutes.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
This was awesome!. I made half a recipe - 1 sandwich today, 1 tomorrow! I used albacore tune in water, 1/2 T olive oil, only 1 slice of cheese (co-jack) and diced dill pickle spears. Also just plain bread. Used my George Foreman.
This is fantastic, even without the cheese! I couldn't stop eating it. We used regular bread and toasted like grilled cheese. Will make again!