Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This oustanding recipe was a favorite of my husband's and I on our honeymoon at Seaside Oregon located on the northern pacific coast.
- Clean the clams and place them in a large pot along with the garlic and water.
- Steam the clams just until opened, about 6 to 10 minutes, depending upon their size.
- Drain and shell the clams, reserving the broth.
- Mince the clam flesh, and set aside.
- Filter the clam broth either through coffee filters or cheesecloth and set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot slowly cook the bacon.
- Remove from the grease and set them aside.
- Slowly cook the onions in the grease for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently, or until cooked through but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the reserved clam broth and the fish stock, and whisk to remove any flour lumps.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, add the potatoes, lower the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved clams and light cream.
- Heat the chowder until it is the temperature you like.
- Serve in large soup bowls with oyster crackers on the side.