Recipe by COOKGIRl
I found this recipe years ago in a magazine at the check out stand while I was still living in California; long before I knew what an Oregon was! I have always been compelled by unknown forces to serve the beef stew over wide egg noodles. Tossed green salad that include toasted hazelnuts is a requirement, too!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 lemon slices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried mixed fruit, cut up into bite size pieces (apricots, peaches, apples, cherries, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a 4 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the beef. Add the apple cider and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients in layers, *EXCEPT* for the dried fruit.
- Cover Dutch oven and slow roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, checking the pot periodically throughout the cooking process to be sure the liquid has not evaporated. Add more apple cider if needed to avoid the meat drying out.
- During the final 20-30 minutes of cooking, add the dried fruit and cook until soft. Remove both lemon slices before serving.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.