Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
A delicious recipe I got from a newspaper clipping.
Make and share this Oregano Pesto Manicotti recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 6 ounces firm tofu
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup oregano
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces dried manicotti
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat two tablespoons olive oil in large pan and saute garlic and onion several minutes.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, lemon slices an bay leaves.
- Book over medium high heat about thirty minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and add the port.
- Cook about 15 minutes longer until the sauce is rather thick.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Cook the manicotti noodles in a very large pot until almost al dente.
- Note: The noodles MUST be undercooked to stuff them.
- Slice the tofu, then mash in a large bowl, add ricotta, sour cream, egg and oregano.
- Combine well.
- Add the mozzarella and parmesan and stir to incorporate.
- Stuff each noodle with the cheese mixture, preferably with a baby spoon or 1 t measuring spoon.
- Rub a 9x13 inch baking dish with one T olive oil.
- Arrange the stuffed manicotti in the pan in a single layer.
- Spoon the sacue over them along their center and bake, covered 35 minutes.