Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from New Zealand celebrity chef Mike King courtesy of the NZ Pork Industry Board. The marinade is simple to prepare and imparts a wonderful smell and aroma to the pork. As written, this recipe includes my favorite vegetables for kebabs but you should feel free to use your own. Cooking time includes marinading the pork.
- 1 lb lean pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary sprig
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Choose 2 or 3 from a selection of vegetables
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/8 inch thick slices
- 8 grape tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 8 medium white mushrooms
- For the marinade combine all ingredients in a resealable plastic bag or non-reactive bowl.
- Trim the pork of all visible fat and cut into 1 inch cubes. Place cubes in bag and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes. (You can also toss the vegetables in if you like. Mushrooms and zucchini are especially good in absorbing the flavor.).
- In the meantime soak wooden skewers in water.
- Wash and cut vegetables for kebabs.
- Thread kebabs alternating between the pork cubes and vegetables. Depending on the size of your pork cubes and the length of the skewers, you will have 1 large or 2 small skewers per person.
- Place on indoor or outdoor grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
Our kebabs were delicious! I like that the ingredients are something I always have on hand. I marinated zucchini, peppers and onions for a few hours, and then marinated the meat for only a half hour as indicated so that the lemon juice would not "cook" the meat. Thx toni, we will make this again.
Super super kebabs! I let the pork cubes sit in the marinade for 2 hours which did not hurt the flavour at all. The marinade is easy to throw together and adds a wonderful lemony flavour once served. For veggies I used grape tomatoes, yellow/orange peppers and onions. Thank so much for sharing this keeper!
Made it with bonless/skinless chicken thighs because DH will not eat pork Was really good w/ chicken and I'm sure it would earn 5 stars w/savory pork!