5 hrs 10 mins
This ice cream was created by me trying to make mint ice cream in a slight rush. Of course, i accidentally picked oregano instead of mint and made the whole recipe thinking i was cooking with mint. I'm not sure why exactly i didn't notice the distinct smell of oregano while it was cooking, but it was one of the best flavors of ice cream I've ever had! It was very smooth and also refreshing, it was a savory ice cream that was perfect for a summer evening, but it didn't have the cloying sweetness of other ice cream. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan warm 2 cups heavy cream, vanilla extract, salt, and oregano.
- 2Once the mixture is steaming, take off heat, cover, and let stand for 1 to 1/12 hours to let the oregano infuse its flavor into the cream.
- 3Pour the mixture through the strainer into a large bowl and press the oregano against the strainer to get all of the oregano flavor into the mixture. once all of the flavor is extracted from the oregano leaves, discard them.
- 4Pour the rest of the heavy cream into a bowl and place a strainer over the top.
- 5separate the eggs and whisk the yolks in a small bowl.
- 6Rewarm the cream mixture and when the mixture is still warm, slowly pour the egg yolks into the mixture whisking constantly until all of the egg yolks are combined into the mixture.
- 7Cook the custard, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. about 6-8 minutes.
- 8Strain the mixture into the heavy cream that you placed the strainer over earlier and stir mixture over ice bath until lukewarm or cool.
- 9refrigerate the mixture until cool and pour the mixture into your ice cream maker until it gets thick and freeze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oregano Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.0
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 271.4 mg
- Sodium 73.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 6.2 g