Recipe by *OzMan*
Got this easy recipe from a friend of mine who loves game hens so I thought I would post it here for you to try sometime. i like these, but don't make them as often as I could/should.
Top Review by Lacer
This was good, first time making or eating cornish game hens. (I bought some cornish game hens because they were on sale.) I had everything for this one on hand, so I tried it. Very nice, and I love stuffing, so that was a plus. The birds were very juicy and flavorful. Thanks Ozman!
- 4 Cornish hens (approx. 1 lb. each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper
- oregano, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups small white bread cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove bags of liver and neck from hens, rinse hens and pat dry.
- Rub skins with oil.
- Season hens inside& out with salt,pepper and oregano, set aside.
- Make stuffing by heating butter till bubbly (do not burn).
- Add onion and celery and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in bread cubes, oregano, celery salt, pepper and water.
- Loosely stuff each hen with 1/4 of the stuffing.
- Place stuffed hens in a roastin pan and cook at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and roast for another 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear when thigh is pricked with a fork.
- Place on warm serving platter.
- Skim off exces fat from juices in pan, add water and butter.
- Simmer for 2 miutes, season to taste and serve with hens.