Recipe by Pumpkie
This can be served hot or at room temperature. From Everyday Italian. I love orecchiette pasta and broccoli rabe and usually they are together in dishes but I love the additon of the sausage.
Top Review by TaterBug! :)
This is delicious! I like to add white wine to mine as well. I also occasionally use rotini, which works great! Thanks so much for posting this great recipe. I use it time and time again.
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, stalks trimmed and quartered crosswise
- 12 ounces dried orecchiette
- 3 tablespoons qood quality olive oil
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the broccoli rabe and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Strain the broccoli rabe, and reserve all the cooking liquid. Set the broccoli rabe aside.
- Cook the orecchiette in the same pot of boiling water until tender but still firm about 8 minutes, stir occasionally. Drain reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook breaking up with a spoon until the sausage is brown and juices form, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli rabe and toss to coat.
- Add the pasta and enough reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup at a time, to moisten.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, salt to taste, and pepper into the pasta mixture. Serve immediately or at room temperature.