Recipe by Dona England
Use a combination of greens - like Kale, mustard, chard or spinach, whatever looks good.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage link
- 1 lb greens
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- freshly cracked pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile remove sausge from it's casing. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat and cook the sausage until browned and cooked through.Transfer cooked sausauge to a large bowl.
- In the same pan add a tablespoon of olive oil and turn heat to high. Once the oil is hot, add half the greens. Let the greens sit for a minute undisturbed.
- Season with a pinch of kosher salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Add half the garlic.
- Bein to toss the greens around until they start wilting. Once wilted transfer to the large bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining greens and transfer the greens to the bowl.
- Don't wash the pan yet.
- Cook the pasta in salted water. Reserve a cup of the pasta water.
- In the same saute pan add half the reserved cooking liquid and add the 1 tablespoon of butter. Let simmer until reduced slightly.
- Add the pasta to the large bowl with the sausage and greens.
- Pour the cooking liquid-butter mixture over top.
- Add the cheese and stir with a large spoon.
- Add more cooking liquid if necessary.
- Dish out the pasta topping with pepper and more parmesan cheese.