Flavorful pesto is made with Sicily's pistachio nuts. Frank Castronovo & Frank Falcinelli (the Chef) says, "Sicilian pistachios are incredibly sweet & fruity, not like the cheap ones we eat in front of the TV here in the USA." This recipe appeared in F&W Magazine, the September, 2007, edition. Serve with a white wine blend to create a citrusy flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb orecchiette
- 7 ounces unsalted roasted shelled pistachios (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths and julienned
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente.
- 2Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the pistachios until coarsely chopped.
- 3Add the oil, mint and garlic and pulse just to combine.
- 4Transfer to a pasta bowl, stir in the cheese and scallions; season with salt & pepper & crushed red pepper, if using.
- 5Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- 6Return the pasta to the pot.
- 7Add the cooking water and the pesto and cook over low heat, tossing, until coated, 1 minute.
- 8Transfer the pasta to the bowl and serve, passing extra cheese on the side.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orecchiette With Pistachio Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.4
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: