Prep 18 mins
Cook 12 mins
Flavorful pesto is made with Sicily's pistachio nuts. Frank Castronovo & Frank Falcinelli (the Chef) says, "Sicilian pistachios are incredibly sweet & fruity, not like the cheap ones we eat in front of the TV here in the USA." This recipe appeared in F&W Magazine, the September, 2007, edition. Serve with a white wine blend to create a citrusy flavor.
- 1 lb orecchiette
- 7 ounces unsalted roasted shelled pistachios (1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths and julienned
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the pistachios until coarsely chopped.
- Add the oil, mint and garlic and pulse just to combine.
- Transfer to a pasta bowl, stir in the cheese and scallions; season with salt & pepper & crushed red pepper, if using.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot.
- Add the cooking water and the pesto and cook over low heat, tossing, until coated, 1 minute.
- Transfer the pasta to the bowl and serve, passing extra cheese on the side.