Food & Wine. June 2007. This can also be made with already cut and cleaned squid and/or made on the stove top. Thaw frozen squid first! Don't overcook the squid or it becomes tough.
- 3⁄4 lb orecchiette
- 1⁄2 lb cleaned squid
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 3⁄4 cup canned chick-peas, rinsed
- Light a grill. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking water. Return the al dente pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the squid with 1 tablespoon of the oil; season with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and white throughout, 4 minutes.
- Transfer the squid to a work surface. Slice the bodies crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rings and quarter the tentacles.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Stir the lemon-garlic sauce into the pasta. Stir in the arugula, chickpeas, squid and the reserved pasta cooking water.
- Cook over low heat, tossing, until the arugula is wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls and serve.