Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great, after-work, quick, easy and healthy dinner for two. From the Chicago Sun-Times. Add as much or as little red pepper flakes as your tastebuds allow.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 6 ounces orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 links Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth or 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or 1 tablespoon scallion, green part only
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 4 minutes or until almost tender. Drain broccoli and drop into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and set aside.
- Again, fill the pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until aldente, about 6 minutes, drain and set aside.
- While water is boiling and pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add sausage and break up with a wooden spoon and stir occasionally until mixture is crumbly and browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, crushed red pepper flakes and chicken broth (or water or wine). Add the broccoli and pasta and heat through. Sprinkle on the parsley, basil and chives. Sprinkle on the Parmesan or serve it on the side.
Delicious and very easy to make, I would just add a bit more sauce, maybe more tomate paste and wine.