Recipe by Phil Franco
Optional Additions: Roasted Red Peppers, Sun Dried Tomatoes, 1-15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 lb sausage
- 1 lb broccoli rabe or 1 lb spinach
- 1⁄2 lb orecchiette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- grated cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the ends of the stems of the broccoli rabe and clean.
- In a large skillet over moderate heat, saute bite size pieces of sausage. Some chefs remove the sausage from its casing and saute the ground pork.
- At the same time blanch the broccoli rabe in a large pot of salted water for about 5 minutes.
- When the sausage is browned remove from the saute pan and add olove oil and garlic to the pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the broccoli rabe to the saute pan and place the pasta in the same large pot that the broccoli was in (use the same water).
- The orecchietti takes about 11 minutes to cook. When the pasta is almost done scoop out 1 cup of the water and add to the saute pan and put the sausage back in to the pan as well.
- When the pasta is done drain the pasta and add to the saute pan.
- Serve hot and dress with grated cheese.