This recipe from "Solo Suppers" is supposed to serve one so I doubled the recipe to make enough for myself and my husband for dinner. I ended up with leftovers for a second meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 19 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup broccoli rabe, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces orecchiette
- 4 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs
- romano cheese, for serving
Toasted Bread Crumbs
- 1To make the toasted bread crumbs, heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a food processor, pulse the bread cubes until you have coarse crumbs.
- 3Toss the crumbs in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- 4Spread the crumbs on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 20 minutes.
- 5Store in a covered container for up to 1 month.
- 6To make the pasta, put the chickpeas in a bowl and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- 7Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 8Add the salt and then drop in the broccoli rabe and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 9Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in cold water to set the colour.
- 10Drain and set aside.
- 11Drop the orecchiette into the same boiling, salted water and cook until al dente, about 12 minutes.
- 12While the pasta cooks, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- 13Add the onion and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 14Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and chickpeas and cook for 2 minutes.
- 15Add the tomatoes and broccoli rabe and cook until hot.
- 16Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 17Drain the pasta when it is ready and it to the sauce, along with toasted bread crumbs, and warm through.
- 18Transfer to a warmed bowl and sprinkle with romano cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe and Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (1672 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2717.5
- Calories from Fat 889
- Total Fat 98.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11224.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 390.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 42.8 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 71.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: