this is a recipe i got from a williams sonoma cookbook called "classic pasta at home". broccoli rabe has now become my new favorite veggie and i can't believe i lived without it for so long. if you have never tried it you are in for a treat. this recipe is simple but very satisfying.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1in an unheated large saute pan, add garlic and pepper flakes to oil and then turn the heat to medium.
- 2allow the garlic and flakes to color lightly but not burn.
- 3cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- 4turn off heat and set aside.
- 5place a large bowl of ice water nearby.
- 6in a large pot of salted water, brought up to the boil, add the brocccoli rabe and cook for 2-4 minutes until just tender.
- 7using tongs remove broccoli rabe from the boiling water into the bowl of ice water to stop it's cooking BUT leave the water boiling on high for your pasta.
- 8drain broccoli rabe from ice water and then gently squeeze out excess liquid and chop into 2" lengths.
- 9add the pasta to the boiling water that was used for the broccoli rabe.
- 10cook according to the package directions.
- 11add the broccoli rabe to the saute pan with the oil and garlic.
- 12return to medium heat, stir occasionally and add salt to taste.
- 13cook for about 3-4 minutes until broccoli rabe is hot and heated through.
- 14drain pasta (you don't need the water anymore).
- 15return pasta to the still warm cooking pot.
- 16add the broccoli rabe along with all the oil and garlic and flakes to the pasta in the pot.
- 17toss briefly-- the oil becomes your"sauce".
- 18it should coat everything lightly and not be excessively oily.
- 19serve immediately.
- 20if you like you can add freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese but i think it tastes better without.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for orecchiette with broccoli rabe
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.7
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 63.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 20.7 g