This recipe is total "comfort food" as far as I am concerned! Bon Appetit Magazine, June 2009 edition. Maria Helm Sinskey is the author of Williams Sonoma Family Meals. Made a few changes to suit our needs and to try and make some more people happy.;) I think a nice rose, a sliced tomato salad with an olive oil and "vinegar" vinaigrette, warm bread and butter and a scrumptious fresh fruit salad of berries and cantelope will round out the meal very nicely! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups packed chopped onions
- 8 ounces trimmed sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces orecchiete pasta (little ear-shaped pasta) or 8 ounces pasta shells
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- mrs. dash extra spicy seasoning or mrs dash italian seasoning
- fresh coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- 1Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onions.
- 3Saute until onions are pale golden, about 6 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat to medium; saute onions until tender and deep golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- 5Transfer 3/4 cup sauteed onions to a small bowl;reserve for another dish.
- 6Add peas to onions in skillet.
- 7Saute until peas are crisp tender, about 3 minutes.
- 8Remove skillet from heat.
- 9Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- 10Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- 11Add pasta and 1/2 cup cooking liquid to onion mixture; stir over medium high heat 30 seconds.
- 12Mix in ricotta, basil (if using), lemon peel and lots of black pepper, adding more cooking liquid to moisten as needed.
- 13Season with either of Mrs Dash's seasonings, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (if using), to taste.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orecchiette W/Caramelized Onions, Sugar Peas/Ricotta Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.9
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.6 mg
- Sodium 34.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 13.5 g