Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another one from Barton Brands. Orecchiette means "little ears".
- 1 (16 ounce) package orecchiette
- 1 1⁄2 cups reserved cooking water, from the pasta
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, cut into thick lengthwise slices
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1⁄4 cup caravella limoncello
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into thin slices
- Cook the orecchiette according to the package directions.
- About a minute or two before the pasta is cooked, stir in the chopped broccoli rabe. Before draining the pasta and broccoli rabe, reserve 1 ½ cups of the cooking liquid.
- If you place a measuring cup in the colander set in your sink, it will serve as a reminder to reserve the cooking liquid.
- After reserving the 1½ cups of cooking liquid, drain the pasta and broccoli rabe.
- Return the drained pasta and broccoli rabe to the empty pot and set on the stove, but don’t turn on the burner under it. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper to taste, the crushed red pepper flakes and the fennel seeds. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring until just golden brown but not burned.
- Add the Caravella Limoncello and the reserved cooking liquid. Cook at a low-medium boil, stirring occasionally for 1 minute.
- Turn the garlic mixture into the pot of pasta and broccoli rabe and stir to combine.
- Scatter the slices of butter over the top and stir to mix well until the butter melts and the sauce looks creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4-6.