I found this awesome recipe in bon appettit magazine. We love it! I always find that it takes a little longer to get the onions the way I like them than the recipe says so allow a little extra time for that. For the best technique for the onions I use Caramelized Onions. It's the best way I've found to do them.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 946.36 ml packed chopped onions
- 226.79 g packagetrimmed sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 226.79 g package orecchiette (little ear-shaped pasta) or 226.79 g package pasta shells
- 118.29 ml whole milk ricotta cheese
- 59.14 ml torn fresh basil leaf
- 7.39 ml finely grated lemon peel
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions. Sauté until onions are pale golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; sauté onions until tender and deep golden, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer 3/4 cup sautéed onions to small bowl; reserve for frittata. Add peas to onions in skillet. Sauté until peas are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Add pasta and 1/2 cup cooking liquid to onion mixture; stir over medium-high heat 30 seconds. Mix in ricotta, basil, and lemon peel, adding more cooking liquid to moisten as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Made for a delicious side with our chicken. I will add just a bit more basil next time. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game. :)