Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another one from the Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute. Again, cooking time may be a bit more or less than stated.
- 900 g plums, washed, halved and stoned (no need to peel)
- 900 g ripe tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 850 ml malt vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves
- 450 g onions
- 225 g raisins
- 1 1⁄8 kg cooking apples, peeled and cored
- 450 g demerara sugar
- 24 g salt
- 50 g whole pickling spices
- 1 small muslin, bag
- Put the plums, tomatoes and vinegar into a large preserving pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently until very soft.
- Mince together the garlic, onions, raisins and apples or use a food processor to chop them finely. Add to the plum mixture with the sugar, salt and bag of spices. (see note below regarding spices).
- Heat gently until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and then simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, or until the chutney is well reduced and very thick. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Remove the bag of spices and spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal down.
- Allow jars to cool before labeling and store for 2-3 weeks before using.
- NOTE: Use a mixture of any or all of the following for the spices: Peppercorns, allspice berries, ginger, celery seeds, cloves, dried chillies or coriander seeds. Tie them up into a clean muslin bag.