Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From the Turtleback Farm Inn, Orcas Island, Washington
- 1 lb cooked crabmeat (preferably Dungeness lumb crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage)
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 3⁄4 cups grated swiss cheese (or raw-milk cheddar cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (the white wine variety, if available)
- sour cream
- minced fresh chives (or whole chives with blossoms, in season)
- Preheat oven to 375°; butter a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Layer the crab, onion, and cheeses in the dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, Old Bay seasoning, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in the mayonnaise and eggs, combining just until uniformly yellow.
- Add in the milk, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine.
- Pour over crab mixture; bake 45-50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes, then slice into wedges or squares; serve warm.
- Garnish, if desired, with sour cream, chives, and capers.