Recipe by Ail Blanks
No cake would be complete without frosting and my bubby parted with this as well.
Top Review by Lise in Indiana
This is a chocolate version of our favorite frosting for red velvet cake. To get it right, you really need to beat the shortenings ans sugar together till it is VERY fluffy - a stand mixer is best. And then you have to beat in the flour/milk mixture for at least 4 or 5 minutes on high seed to make the icing come together. When it's done right, it is delicious, not too sweet and very light-textured. Also, I used butter instead of margarine - makes a big flavor improvement.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly (I use a whisk); let cool.
- Beat together shortening and margarine in a separate bowl until creamy.
- Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture; beat until smooth.