Recipe by COOKGIRl
...instead of applesauce! A copycat recipe from our favorite place in town to eat breakfast. Amounts of all ingredients are estimated. Cara cara oranges can replace blood oranges if preferred. Raw not cooked sauce. The banana is subtle but plays an important role in this recipe.
- 6 blood oranges
- 1 small banana (or more to desired creaminess)
- 1 inch piece vanilla bean
- sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the oranges then remove the pith and seeds. Cut into chunks.
- Peel the banana and cut into chunks.
- Place the fruit in a blender or food processor.
- Use a sharp nice and slit the vanilla bean pod down the side to open. Scrap the seeds out of the vanilla bean pod and add them to the fruit.
- Blend the mixture until smooth and no chunks remaining. Taste test and if you think the sauce could use a boost of sweetness, add a small amount of sugar, to taste. I added 1/2 tablespoon of local wildflower honey.
- Enjoy now or refrigerate until ready to eat.