1 hr 30 mins
Found this recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001 on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dry red wine, Australian Shiraz
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 2 1/2 lbs oranges, rind cut into strips, flesh sectioned
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange-flavored liqueur
Orange Pound Cake
- 1Orange Pound Cake:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 3-inch loaf pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter and 1 teaspoon of flour, knocking out the excess. Sift the remaining cup of flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl, and set aside.
- 4Combine the remaining butter and the sugar in the bowl of a mixer and cream on high speed.
- 5Add the dry ingredients to the bowl, alternating with the eggs, beating on low speed, and scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the juice, zest, and vanilla, and beat until just incorporated.
- 6Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake has risen, is golden brown on top, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- 7Remove the cake from the oven. Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- 8In a medium, heavy saucepan, combine the red wine, sugar, orange juice, vanilla bean, and strip of orange peel, and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is reduced by half.
- 10Peel and section the oranges over a bowl to catch the juice. Place the orange sections in a shallow, glass, baking dish.
- 11Remove the wine mixture from the heat and pour over the orange sections. Discard the vanilla bean and zest. Let stand and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. (If not serving immediately, tightly cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.).
- 12For the mascarpone:
- 13In a bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, sugar, and liqueur until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 14To serve, slice the pound cake thickly and place one slice on each serving plate. Top with oranges and red wine syrup, and a heaping dollop of the sweet mascarpone.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oranges With Red Wine Syrup and Orange Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.1
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.0 mg
- Sodium 126.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 62.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: