Recipe by ellie_
For World Tour II - Italy--desserts. I thought this sounded like a wonderful summer dessert served over vanilla ice cream. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1982)
- 8 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove colored part or orange and lemon peel with a vegetable peeler, cutting from top to bottom of fruit to get 1/2 x 3-inch strips. Slice lengthwise into julienne. Set lemons aside for another use.
- Trim tops and bases of oranges and cut away any pith.
- Set oranges on serving platter.
- In a saucepan bring water to boil and then add peel and boil for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and then transfer peels to a 3 quart saucepan.
- Add sugar and 1 cup of wine to the peels.
- Cook over medium low heat until sugar dissolves, swirling pan occasionally.
- Increase heat to high and boil until syrup becomes caramel colored. Remove from heat.
- Stir in liqueur and remaining wine (2 1/2 tablespoons).
- Pour syrup over oranges and mound peels on top of oranges, arranging remaining peels in syrup around fruit.