Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This German cookie recipe has become a Christmas tradition in our family, but is yummy year round. The combination of orange and chocolate is wonderful!
- 100 g semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 125 g butter or 125 g margarine
- 125 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 orange rind, shredded
- 200 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- Grate chocolate.
- Cream butter or margarine and sugar. Add egg and shredded orange peel.
- Sift flour and baking powder, and add to creamed mixture along with the grated chocolate.
- You may knead the dough together by hand.
- Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out dough to 5mm thickness, and cut with cookie cutters of desired shape.
- Transfer cookies to cookie sheets and bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from sheets to a rack to cool.
- Sift icing sugar. Stir in enough orange juice to make a glaze.
- Glaze the bottom of each cooled cookie.
These are the best cookies EVER!! The prefect combination of chocolate and orange with a melt in your mouth sugar cookie type texture. The grating of the chocolate, although somewhat time consuming, is worth it since it creates a really pretty flecked look. The slightly orange flavoured sweet glaze that hardens on the cookie adds both visually and taste wise. These are really excellent cookies!!