Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
The addition of orange makes this zucchini cake a bit different. Recipe came out of the food section of a newspaper in the 1970's
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Cream butter in large mixing bowl with orange peel, spices and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt and blend into creamed mixture alternately with orange juice.
- Stir in zucchini.
- Pour into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 55 to 65 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Beat ingredients together until smooth.
- Spread on top of cooled cake.
Made this cake for a catering job in a full sheet pan. For my taste the spices a bit overwhelmed the zucchini flavor. In my second try I doubled the amount of zucchini and the cake came out just fine. Very light and fluffy. Good crumb. With 50 - 100% more zucchini it would be a 5 star cake.
P-E-R-F-E-C-T! Light, tender & full of great orange flavor. The smell coming from the oven while it's baking will drive you crazy--soooooo good! This will be a regular around here! ;)
This is so delicious and moist! We loved the orange flavor combined with the zucchini. I will definitely be making this again--it's a great way to use zucchini from our garden. I even used extra zucchini in my cake and it still turned out perfect. I am passing this recipe along to my mother. Thanks!