Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Low GI and awesome. I was surprised when I first tried this to find that the little amount of orange zest I added was enough to create such a wonderful flavour combined with the other ingredients. This is not a blended soup, so it still feels like you're eating a full meal by itself and when frozen, the flavours will intensify giving the soup a bit more bite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups leeks, sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup oats, large flake
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a soup pot on a medium heat.
- Add leeks and cook for 7 - 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add stock, broccoli, oats, orange zest, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer, covered for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in milk and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese and pepper.